The strong aroma of a delicious turkey is pulling me in to a dream-like state. It has been cooking for hours. Pots and pans continue to rattle and the smells intensify. I offer to give a helping hand, now that the meal is almost prepared. Chopped sweet Vidalia onions make my nose and eyes run like a faucet. Grandma tells me to put a silver spoon in my mouth to minimize the tears pressing against my eyes from the onions. Surprisingly, it works. The noise in the room elevates as more family members arrive. My eyes and stomach are drawn to the delectable goodies being carried in. I can’t resist. My nose is drawn to…What, Gordon Food Service Apple Pie?!# No assigned seating here, first come, first served. It’s Thanksgiving Day. I opt for an end seat, more elbow room. My plate is loaded and the party in my mouth is ready to begin. I shovel in some turkey. My stomach confirms that the turkey is delicious. My plate is heaped with food. Cranberries explode with flavor like Pop-Rocks. Potatoes, gravy, and rolls, oh my! My stomach is signaling to me to stop, but I loosen my sweat pants and press on. Sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, rutabaga find a new home in my stomach. A hungry dog has nothing on me. The second helping of turkey lights off fireworks in my head, but the grand finale is on its way as Grandma carries in the Gordon Food Service Apple Pie to the table. Do I wait? No!
I dive in fork first. Houston, we have lift off as the pie prepares for its journey into the unknown. If taste buds could talk, let me tell you, they would be singing from the roof tops or putting on a theatrical production about the food they’ve been eating. The warm apple pie and the cold vanilla ice cream mixing in my pie hole are indescribable. My facial expression says it all. It doesn’t get much better than this. The smells that teased me in the morning matched up to the afternoon taste. My festive wear has done its job well. Just when I think my waistband can’t take any more, I settle in on the couch with a mug of hot apple cider. Gulp, gulp, gulp. Uh oh, Houston, we have a problem!
For your Turkey viewing and listening pleasure.
Now you've gotten me excited about Thanksgiving. I was dreading the approaching holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, but after reading your post, I'm actually slightly looking forward to Thanksgiving. Your writing brings me to the table and I can visualize and taste the food. I don't know about the store bought apple pie though. Apples are so delicious this time of year and a fresh pie would be heavenly. Have you ever tasted apple cider from Washtenaw Dairy in Ann Arbor? Its the best.
ReplyDelete