Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reseach Paper

I’m doing my research paper on the difference between trade name drugs and generic drugs.  I thought it would be a good topic due to the rising prices of medical insurance.  My opinion on this topic is that we’re getting screwed by the drug manufactures on their ridiculous prices that put on these drugs.  I know that there is cost in making these drugs but, the profits they make are astronomical.  Drug companies have a patent on the drug that last from five to seven years, after the paten runs out any drug company may manufacture the drug.  What most people don’t realize is that every drug has some kind of side effect.    The more research that I do on this topic the more pissed I became.  Hospital have two different rates that they charge patient, people who have insurance have been known to pay one hundred fifty dollars for an aspirin while people who can’t afford medical insurance usually walk out of the clinics with handfuls of free sample, and we wonder why medical insurance is outrageous. I do believe that there is no price for the cost of being healthy but when the average cost of a doctor visit runs between one hundred and two hundred and fifty dollars for five minutes of the doctor’s time the numbers just don’t add up. With more and more doctors getting busted for medicate fraud are they really in the practice to save life’s or to get richer? Here are a couple of web sites http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=46204 http://www.bcbsm.com/member/prescription_drugs/generic_drugs.shtml

2 comments:

  1. I heard the claim about hospitals charging much more as well. According to the hospital, their rationale for their practices of overcharging is to cover the routine expenses that are part of running a hospital. The medical field is definitely the place to go for the bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my EMT license last year and we had to memorize a list of 100 most commonly used drugs. There retail name, drug name, what its used for, and side effects. And its was rediculauas, I can't understand why they just can't make one drug for one thing!

    ReplyDelete