Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Best Day of the year
November, 15 the mother of all days! Better then, Christmas, your birthday, and winning the lotto. One million hunters will take to the woods on Michigan’s opening day of firearm deer season to try in bag the allusive whitetail deer. Even with the economy in the tank hunters will still pump millions of dollars into Michigan’s needy economy. License fees, clothing, gear and ammunition will be the bulk of money spent. Several families’ still make the trip over the bridge to their favorite hunting grounds in the Upper Peninsula; many will stay in cabins or make shift deer camps. The hunt isn’t all about shooting a big buck or even seeing deer, for many it’s about family tradition spending time with family or good friends, family tradition still runs strong in the “hunting community” many fathers pass down all their skills ( luck) and years of knowledge (bull s###) to their children along with several far fetched tails.
As the sun breaks the horizon I hear a whisper saying dad, dad, here comes some deer dad. One has horns, is it a shooter dad? Dad, do you think they are going to come our way? As we watch the deer a flock of geese fly over looking for a place to land. As we watch the deer walk away from us, we notice a squirrel perched on a limb staring at us. The squirrel climbs down the tree grabs an ear of corn and takes off into the woods. As we talk about past seasons and present life, the time passes quickly and before we know it, the sun is starting to fall. We see several more deer before the sun sets but instead of shooting we watch them and wait for the big one. At dusk we gather all our stuff and decide to call it a day. As we head back to the house my daughter Britt asks, so Dad do you think will get one tomorrow?
My friend and hunting buddy Kyle Bonner shot the new Lapeer county record on Oct, 23, 2010 good job Kyle! check out some pictures and vidio on Michigan Outdoors and buck faxs
http://buckfax.com/20101103/administration/slideshow/kyle-bonner-2010-deer-unknown-county-archery-to-be-scored
http://www.michiganoutofdoors.com/video-channel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yahoo buddy! I totally agree with you and love your blog...I was sooo pumped to go this year. I ended up having to work the night before and I work 3rds, THEN once i got out of work from 10:30- 7a i had class in the morning. Needless to say I was pooped i didn't want to be in a tree stand tired as all get out so i took a nap and set my clock for 12:30 p...somehow someway clock didn't go off, i woke up at 6p. I was sooo bummed I missed opening day!
ReplyDeleteI love how you added the narrative genre into your blog. Part of it tells a story. I enjoyed reading it.
ReplyDelete